Register for FORCE2018 by this Friday and save $100
Violeta Ilik
2018-08-30 10:47:32 UTC
*** Cross posted to multiple lists ***

FORCE2018 is coming to Montreal.

Are you a researcher or a librarian? You might be a publisher, or a funder
of research.

Whatever your position, you have an important role to ensure research is
easily found and shared so that everyone can benefit from the latest
results.

The FORCE meeting – this October – is a place where communities come
together.

Register now <https://goo.gl/i2AX9z>

*Save $100US if you register by August 31*

What is FORCE2018?

FORCE2018 is a different conference. It promotes open discussions on an
open future for scholarly communications. It looks beyond the publication
to the needs of all involved in the research enterprise, including the
producers and the users of research.

The wide variety of this year’s talks cover many themes, including

-

Open Data, Open Source and Open Scholarship
-

Research classification and interdisciplinary research
-

New ways to share research results
-

Reproducibility
-

Community outreach and impact

Sometimes controversial. Often different. Always inspiring.

Why Montreal?

There’s a reason why Montreal is a magnet for students and investors. With
11 universities and a vibrant tech sector, the academic-business connection
is strong and thriving. Artificial intelligence, high tech, gaming,
neuroscience, data-hosting and shared services are just some of the
businesses that have made a home in the largest French-speaking city
outside France. (French is one of Canada’s two official languages and
Montreal is almost fully bilingual). Montreal is also making its mark on
the open science scene. Open science followers will be familiar with
the Tanenbaum
Open Science Institute of the Montreal Neurological Institute
<https://goo.gl/VZuiBP>, the pan-Canadian Open Neuroscience Platform
<https://goo.gl/m8mGzu>, Erudit <https://goo.gl/8gBa6J>, MNI Open Research
<https://goo.gl/XeBisg>, and other leading-edge efforts for open science.

Montreal is a great city. Make sure and take time to explore it.

Join us to learn more

Register now <https://goo.gl/i2AX9z>

Why else should you attend?

What makes the FORCE2018 conference special, and unmissable, is the
opportunity to connect and collaborate with committed people from across
sectors. We may approach things from different perspectives, but we all
care about research.

We all want to realise the benefits of enhanced access to the world’s
knowledge.

So, please join us for three days in fabulous Montreal, Canada and engage
in great conversation.

The FORCE2018 Conference will be held in Montreal, Canada on October 11 &
12, 2018 at the New Residence Conference Center at McGill University.
Pre-conference workshops held on October 10 at Concordia University's
Webster Library. You can check out the full schedule here
<https://goo.gl/u6RBEX>.

Register now <https://goo.gl/i2AX9z>

Thanks! We'll look forward to seeing you there.

On behalf of the Local Organizing Committee

Joanne Clark, Ludmer Centre - McGill University

Jean-Claude Guédon, Université de Montréal

Lorie Kloda, Concordia University

Vincent LariviÚre, Université de Montréal

Naser Muja, Canadian Open Neuroscience Platform

Jean-Baptiste Poline, McGill University (Local Organizing Committee Lead)

Nikola Stikov, Polytechnique Montréal
--
Violeta Ilik
Force11 Board Member
Pine W
2018-08-30 14:43:00 UTC
I'm going to ask the opinion of the Wikidata list moderators here. This email appears to be a soloicitation to pay for attendance to an event, which I would consider to be a junk email and would treat accordingly including by blacklisting the sender. Do the Wikidata list moderators agree?
Thanks,
Pine
null
Luca Martinelli

Jérémie Roquet
2018-08-30 14:45:35 UTC
Post by Pine W
I'm going to ask the opinion of the Wikidata list moderators here. This
email appears to be a soloicitation to pay for attendance to an event, which
I would consider to be a junk email and would treat accordingly including by
blacklisting the sender. Do the Wikidata list moderators agree?
I didn't want to be the first to raise what I wasn't sure to be an
issue, but I feel the same.

Best regards,
Jérémie
Violeta Ilik

Léa Lacroix
2018-09-04 12:03:52 UTC
Hello all,

Lydia and I, as moderators of this list, are filtering the announcements
about conferences, keeping only the ones that have a link to Wikidata or
could interest the broad community. The criteria of having to pay for the
conference or not is not taken in account.
In that case, the conference includes open data in its topic, and some
members of the Wikicite group have been there in the past, that's why we
thought it would be interesting for the Wikidata community.

However, we don't tolerate spam, multiple-reminders for the same event, and
we try to reduce the noise as much as possible for the ~1200 subscribers of
this mailing-list.

Thanks for your understanding,
Léa
Post by Pine W
blacklisting the sender. Do the Wikidata list moderators agree?
I didn't want to be the first to raise what I wasn't sure to be an
issue, but I feel the same.
Best regards,
--
Jérémie
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnÃŒtzig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt fÃŒr
Violeta Ilik
2018-09-04 12:28:28 UTC
Thank you for addressing this issue.
Yes, members of the wikidata community have participated in Force11 events
in the past and also this year: http://sched.co/F7u7
Members of the Force11 actually visited the Wikidata headquarters last year
in Berlin when our 2017 conference was held there. See that program for
reference:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DH8FfDOGOqzYpCjVJK4aZcVq0vk4d-77fx7MUHRLV_Q/edit#gid=719985695

A friendly suggestion: please look up the event, in this case Force11 [
https://www.force11.org/meetings/force2018], before sending emails that
contain suggestions to blacklist people.

Violeta
Post by Pine W
blacklisting the sender. Do the Wikidata list moderators agree?
I didn't want to be the first to raise what I wasn't sure to be an
issue, but I feel the same.
Best regards,
--
Jérémie
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de
unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnÃŒtzig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
fÌr Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.
Charlie Kritschmar
2018-09-04 13:04:02 UTC
Hi Violeta,

I just wanted to add that, although I agree with your friendly suggestion,
I have one of my own:

Your email advertising the conference does not reference Wikidata,
Mediawiki or Wikimedia at any point.

I understand that If you're posting this email to many places, it takes
time to customize it for every community, but at the same time I can also
understand how it is perceived as advertisement because it is not clear at
all what the connection to the people on the mailing list is and why this
could be interesting to them.

So my suggestion is to have the generic body of the email stay the same,
and have an introductory paragraph at the start of the email that is fitted
to the people you're addressing on each list. It could include past
participation of the community or point out relevant talks in the current
program and point out in what other ways the conference could be
interesting to the people reading the email (networking, meetups, work
groups etc).

I hope this helps avoid future misunderstandings.

All the best for your conference
- Charlie

Post by Pine W
blacklisting the sender. Do the Wikidata list moderators agree?
I didn't want to be the first to raise what I wasn't sure to be an
issue, but I feel the same.
Best regards,
--
Jérémie
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de
unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnÃŒtzig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
fÌr Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.
Charlie Kritschmar
UX-Design/Research

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnÃŒtzig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt fÃŒr
Jérémie Roquet
2018-09-04 13:07:34 UTC
Hi Violeta,

Thanks for the information and sorry for my previous email which
wasn't very sensitive.

May I suggest that in the future, you send the program in the very
first email? There's definitely a chance I get interested in an event
if the program looks great, and I assume that's true for some other
people on that list too. On the contrary, discounts right from the
mail subject and links to click are 100% certain to raise eyebrows.
I've re-read the initial email in that thread, and I'd for sure have
the same initial reaction I've had the first time I've read it,
because it says absolutely nothing about Wikidata and its content is
very abstract.

Léa, thanks a lot for the explanations and the upstream work to filter
incoming emails. That might be too early to discuss this topic given
the low volume of such threads, but maybe at some point should we have
different mailing lists for events and for Wikidata itself. I'm
personally very interested in reading your weekly summaries and
in-depth discussions about Wikidata, but I'm not interested at all in
conferences and I've already had to unsubscribe from a bunch of
mailing lists (including wiki-research-l) only because of the volume
of call for papers and other registration deadlines.

Thanks and best regards,
Jérémie
Luca Martinelli
2018-09-04 14:47:41 UTC
Il giorno mar 4 set 2018 alle ore 15:08 Jérémie Roquet
Post by Charlie Kritschmar
Hi Violeta,
Thanks for the information and sorry for my previous email which
wasn't very sensitive.
This applies also to me.
Post by Charlie Kritschmar
May I suggest that in the future, you send the program in the very
first email? There's definitely a chance I get interested in an event
if the program looks great, and I assume that's true for some other
people on that list too.
This, or a brief note about why the programme should be of interest to
us, i.e. saying "there will be a day/session/whatever dedicated to
Wikidata" - even though I know that sometimes it's easier to do a
single mail, instead of several personalised e-mail.

Cheers,
--
Luca "Sannita" Martinelli
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Sannita
f***@imm.dtu.dk
2018-09-11 21:26:53 UTC
I am a bit late on this, but FORCE2018 has two Wikidata people speaking
(as Violeta's link shows): Dario Taraborelli and Daniel Mietchen, see
also Scholia's profile: https://tools.wmflabs.org/scholia/event/Q56579271

I have never attended the conference, but I suppose it is most relevant
to people in research and research supporting roles such as research
librarians, - like WikiCite people.

/Finn
Post by Violeta Ilik
[...]
Post by Pine W
blacklisting the sender. Do the Wikidata list moderators
agree?
I didn't want to be the first to raise what I wasn't sure to be an
issue, but I feel the same.
Best regards,
--
Jérémie
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de>
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207.
Andrew Lih
2018-09-12 01:10:22 UTC
Yes, I was at FORCE11 last year in Berlin and they are like-minded folks
furthering open scholarship.

-Andrew
Post by Pine W
blacklisting the sender. Do the Wikidata list moderators
agree?
I didn't want to be the first to raise what I wasn't sure to
be an
issue, but I feel the same.
Best regards,
--
Jérémie
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de>
Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V.
Post by Violeta Ilik
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnÃŒtzig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt fÌr Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207.
-Andrew Lih
Author of The Wikipedia Revolution
US National Archives Citizen Archivist of the Year (2016)
Knight Foundation grant recipient - Wikipedia Space (2015)
Wikimedia DC - Outreach and GLAM
Previously: professor of journalism and communications, American
University, Columbia University, USC
---
Email: ***@andrewlih.com
WEB: https://muckrack.com/fuzheado